Resources for health facility green committees
Link in with the IDE Green Committee Network by contacting our Healthcare Sustainability working group coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Inhalers and Carbon Footprint
The Brief Guide to Being a Green Prescriber: Inhalers
For the respiratory multidisciplinary team. Last updated: November 2021.
Inhaler Device Choice, Technique, and Carbon Footprint
Last updated: September 2021
These communication tools were developed with consultation from several key stakeholders.
The tool was developed by a respiratory multidisciplinary team. The project was titled “A Communication tool on inhalers and carbon footprint” and was funded by the Spark Innovation Programme. Thank you to all who contributed to this important resource.
Other important resources on healthcare sustainability
- IDE Public Consultation on Climate Action Plan 2021
- HSE Policy on Sustainability Directive 2017–2019
- Green Hospitals
- The Lancet Global Health – Human health and environmental sustainability: the 21st century’s grandchallenges
- American Society for Healthcare Engineering – Environmental Sustainability in Hospitals: The Value of Efficiency
- World Health Organization – Environmentally Sustainable Health Systems
- Environmental Protection Agency – Ireland’s Environment
- Healthcare Without Harm – Reducing the Carbon Footprint of Healthcare through Sustainable Procurement
- Irish College of General Practice – Planetary Health Resources, including blog posts by IDE members Dr Sean Owens and Dr John Allman
“To walk through a forest uncharacteristically barren of snow in wintertime, or through a hospital ward dominated by older and chronically ill patients, is to witness two of the greatest challenges of our time: the degradation of the Earth’s ecosystems and the shift in human disease towards that driven by our lifestyles and our surroundings. Both challenges are inseparable: climate change, ecosystem destruction, massive losses in biodiversity, a warming ocean, soil degradation, and pollution are wreaking havoc on our planet and sickening us.”Lancet Global Health – Human health and environmental sustainability: the 21st century’s grand challenges